Why Get Involved?
Volunteering is great for your community and makes the world a better place; and it could actually have a positive impact on you! Here are a few reasons for getting involved:
- To have purpose
- To create more fun in your life
- To make new friends
- To learn new skills
- To improve your health & live longer
Consider the following:
- You can make a difference in someone’s life! Mr. Sam’s children live in Texas, but he wants to remain living at his home place here in El Dorado where he has lived all of his adult life. Mr. Sam is 85 years old and no longer drives. Could you take him to his doctor’s appointment?
- Young Susie’s dad lives in another state, and her mom is holding down two jobs. Susie needs help with learning to read, but her mom doesn’t have the time to help her. You could be her Book Buddy during school hours or help her after school at the Boys and Girls Club.
- Miss Jane is spry for a 90 year old, and can take care of all of her personal needs – except for raking those leaves! Would you be willing to help get those bagged up?
- Mary is an adult in her forties who dreams of going back to school and getting her GED and on to college to become a LPN. However, her reading skills are at a second grade level. She needs a respectful, caring adult to tutor her in reading. Could you help?
“THERE IS NOTHING STRONGER THAN THE HEART OF A VOLUNTEER.”
- Franklin D. Roosevelt